Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free
2 cups red lentils
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 to 2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup rice
8 - 10 oz. can of tomato sauce
Seasonings: salt, black pepper, allspice, cumin, and crushed red pepper
Fresh lemons for squeezing over soup
1. Boil the red lentils in about 4 cups of water, as the lentils boil, scoop away foam that forms. Let boil about 5 minutes.
2. Saute in olive oil the onion, garlic, and diced tomatoes.
3. Add uncooked rice, one can of tomato sauce, and onion mixture to the lentils.
Simmer ingredients together till rice is cooked and lentils have begun to break apart.
4. Season to taste with: salt, black pepper, allspice, cumin, and crushed red pepper.
5. (Optional) Blend in a blender for smooth texture.
Serve with freshly squeezed lemon