2 white or yellow onions, chopped
1 T coconut oil
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cardamon
1 butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed
3 apples, cored and cubed
1 cup chick peas, cooked
2 t salt
4 cups chicken stock, veggie stock or water (more or less depending on thickness preference)
1. Heat oil. Saute onions on low till translucent.
2. Add spices and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add squash, apples, and chick peas. Cook together in the spices for 10-15 minutes over medium heat till squash and apples begin to soften.
4. Add stock/water and salt. Bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes. Then puree in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender.
Soup is always best when it has longer to simmer. Or make it a day ahead, stick it in the fridge and warm it up. Yum! Serve with a garnish or fresh spinach or arugula.
Monday, September 23, 2013
Sunday, September 8, 2013
Chicken & Pesto Rice - 6 - 8 servingsIngredients:
5 or 6 chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
salt and pepper
coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground oregano
5 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 1/4 c. chicken or vegetable stock or water
3-4 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 cup pesto
3 cups rice
fresh Italian parsley, minced and Kalmata olives for garish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make your own pesto: I do not use exact measurements, but just dump and pour till the texture is right. Start with: (food process together: 3-4 cups fresh basil, 2 T olive oil, juice of one lemon, 1/4 cup tahini, 1/2 t salt) Add more olive oil or tahini if it is not runny enough, taste if you need more salt)
3. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Use Dutch oven, warm 1 Tb coconut oil. Brown chicken (7-8 minutes). Transfer chicken to a plate and wipe the pan.
4. In the same Dutch oven or pot on medium heat, warm 1 Tb coconut oil. Cook onion, red bell pepper, oregano red pepper flakes for about 10 minutes. Add garlic, cooking wine and cook together for 1 minute. Add browned chicken, stock/water, tomatoes and pesto. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, covered.
5. Add rice, salt and pepper then bring to a simmer. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Stirring halfway. (If you use brown rice it may take 40-50 minutes.) Let stand 10 minutes.
6. Serve with parsley sprinkled on top. Garnish with Kalmata olives if desired.