|Meat scored before baking|
|Out of the oven and ready to eat|
1 cup bulgar wheat (soaked in cold water for two hours) For gluten-free use 1 cup cooked brown rice, 1 cup cooked millet or 1 cup cooked quinoa.
1 onion, chopped
About 2 pounds of ground beef
1/4 cup pinenuts or walnuts, toasted
Seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, cinnamon, and allspice
Preheat oven to 350
1. (Do step one two hours ahead of time) Soak 1 cup bulgar wheat in cold water for two hours
2. Saute a chopped onion in olive oil with 1/3 of total ground beef (For the entire recipe use about 2 pounds...more or less depending on the number of people you are feeding)
3. Toast 1/4 cup pinenuts
4. Stir toasted pinenuts, about 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp allspice into the sauteing beef and onions. Season till desired taste.
5. Mix soaked bulgar with remaining 2/3 ground beef. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice. Mix together.
6. Layer in a baking dish 1/3 raw beef with bulgar, then cooked beef and onions, then top with remaining raw beef mixture.
7. Brush the top lightly with melted butter
8. Cut the meat into diagonal squares.
9. Bake for 30 min. at 350 degrees