I adapted a favorite Banana Pecan Muffin recipe from The Bread Bible to make
Banana, Blueberry Streusel Muffins.
When I make a streusel topping I use my pastry blender to combine the butter, flour and sugar. It works very well to get the crumbly texture needed, but a fork will work just fine if you do not have a pastry blender.
The struesel topping should look something like the picture above when you finish blending it. I used whole wheat flour and organic cane juice crystals instead of white flour and white sugar. Less processed ingredients create a more wholesome product.
In baking I prefer to use expeller pressed canola oil. If you are trying to avoid extra chemicals in your diet make sure your oils are expeller pressed rather than chemically extracted.
During the winter months I buy cage free, vegetarian fed eggs from Piggly Wiggly or the winter farmers market if I can, but in the summer I get fresh, local, grass fed eggs from our CSA.
(Rare Earth Farms, Belgium, WI).
makes 12 muffins
1/4 cup sugar *cane juice crystals
1/4 cup whole wheat flour *gluten-free flour (Land of Lake Blend or Bob's Red Mill are good)
4 Tb cold unsalted butter *dairy free: use 4 T coconut oil
1 cup sugar *cane juice crysrals or sucanut
1/2 cup oil *melted coconut oil or grapeseed oil
2 large eggs *egg free: 2 T Energy Egg Replacer and 4 T warmer water mixed together
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups whole wheat flour *gluten-free flour (Land of Lake Blend or Bob's Red Mill are good)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line muffin tin. Put about 2 cups of water in another baking dish (to place in the oven while muffins are cooking.)
2. Streusel Topping: In a large bowl whisk together flour and sugar. Using a fork or pastry blender cut in the cold butter till coarse crumbs are formed.
3. In a large bowl combine sugar, oil, and eggs with a whisk till the batter is colored and slightly foamy. Add mashed bananas and beat well. The batter will be chunky.
4. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix just till all ingredients are wet. Then fold in blueberries.
5. Spoon batter into muffin tins. Place on spoonful of topping on each muffin. Place the pan in the oven along with the 2 cups of water in a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes . (15 minutes in mini muffin tins.) Cool in the muffin tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.