Then, I felt confident that I needed to include coconut milk in whatever I ended up making.
And...in my opinion if you are going to use coconut milk, then you need some red curry too...and that is how last night's dinner evolved.
Red Curry & Veggies with Brown Rice Pasta
serves 2-4 (depending on hunger level)
rice noodles (as much as you need)
1 can coconut milk
2 tsp red curry paste
(I added more hot red pepper to mine, but this spice level was good for my husband)
2 Tb fresh basil, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 small broccoli head
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cups fresh spinach
(Add whatever veggies you want: bell pepper, squash, bean sprouts....ect)
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
coconut for garnish
1. Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil, add broccoli once onions become translucent.
2. Dissolve red curry paste in 1/4 cup boiling water.
3. Add coconut milk, dissolved curry paste and basil to the vegetables. Bring to a boil, the simmer for 30 - 60 minutes. Simmering for longer will develop more flavor.
4. Prepare rice noodles 10 minutes before eating.
5. About 5 minutes before eating add spinach and season with salt and pepper. Add hot red pepper if desired. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and serve curry sauce over rice noodles.