large metal bowl or pot
veggie stomper (potato masher, meat pounder or something else to pound your veggies with)
2 - wide-mouth quart jars with lids (or) 1 - half gallon jar with a lid
canning jar funnel makes for less mess!
|If you look closely, you can see the small 4 oz. jar inside the wide-mouth jar.|
- 1/2 one green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 or 2 handfuls of fresh kale, chopped
- 1/2 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 2 T salt
- 1 cup water
- *I used the middle size grating option on my food processor.
- Mix grated veggies together in a large metal bowl or even a large pot would work. Don't use glass or ceramic or you may crack your bowl. Add red pepper flakes and Oregano
- In a blender, combine water, salt and about 1 cup of the veggie mixture. Puree till smooth.
- Mix liquid and veggies together. Stomp with a vegetable stomper for about 5 minutes. (use a potato masher, meat pounder or other kitchen gadget if you do not have a stomper) Divide mixture between 2 - quart mason jars or use a larger half gallon jar. Press veggies down with veggie stomper and make sure the veggies are covered with liquid. I often put a small (4oz) mason jar inside a wide-mouth mason jar to weigh the veggies down so that they are always covered with liquid. (glass baby food jars are the perfect size too)
- Put the lids on your jars. Allow jars to sit in room temperature for 3-5 days. Bubbles should be forming and the mixture should not taste salty when it is fermented. Once fermented to your liking, move to cold storage (basement cellar) or refrigerator.