From: Mexico the Beautiful Cookbook - Recipe from the Mexican Region: Morelos
I have made this recipe with less oil, no cheese and no cream and it was still quite delicious!
2 cups long grain white rice
5 oz fresh spinach
1 cupparsley leaves
1 T chopped onion
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
3 cups hot water
2 T butter
3 cups onions, thinly sliced
4 chiles poblanos, roasted, sliced
1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup thick cream
1. Soak the rice for 5 minutes in warm water, rinse well and drain.
2. Rinse the spinach well, place in a saucepan with no added water, cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Transfer to blender, add parsley, onion, garlic and 1/2 cup water and puree. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet, add rice and saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. When the grains begin to separate, remove from heat and drain off excess oil. Add the spinach-parsley puree to the skillet and saute for 2 minutes. Add the hot water and salt to taste. When the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat and cook, covered, for about 20 minutes or till rice is tender.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in large skillet, add the onions and chile strips and saute for 5 minutes or till tender. Sprinkle with salt.
5. Grease a ring mold or baking dish and arrange 1/3 of the onions and chiles on the bottom of the dish. Cover with half the rice and half the cheese. Cover with the remaining rice. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Turn our the mold onto a platter. Cover with cream and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place remaining onions and chiles in the center of the mold or over the top.