This soup is perfect for a blustery fall day...hearty, spicy and smooth.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 cup butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, ginger, garlic, and fenugreek until onion is tender.
- Mix the lentils, squash, and cilantro into the pot. Stir in the water, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.
- Puree soup mixture in the blender. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro.