Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Granola

Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free

It all started with a joke. My younger brother is working at a cereal factory right now. Teasingly, I asked him if he was making Turkey Cheerios, Pumpkin Spice Chex, or Sweet Pootato Pops for the Thanksgiving season? He was technically unable to answer my question. See, he is sworn to secrecy concerning what cereal is actually made in his factory. Top secret stuff...I imagine it similar to Charlie Bucket and the other children who entered Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and were sworn to secrecy regarding the making of the Everlasting Gobstopper. So, I will never know if Turkey Cheerios, Pumpkin Spice Chex, or Sweet Pootato Pops were ever made, all I know is that I have not seen them on the shelf at Piggly Wiggly.

This got me thinking though...Doesn't Pumpkin Spice Granola sound delicious? I tried it today and it truly is the breakfast food that Thanksgiving has been missing.

Pumpkin Spice Granola Recipe:

Whisk together:

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil 
  • 1/2 or 3/4 cup sweetener (choose from: honey, sucanut, maple syrup, or even date paste)
  • 1/2 can of pumpkin puree or 7 oz.
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger

Mix together in a large bowl:

  • 9 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup walnuts or almonds
Bake at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Let cool. Stir after 1 hour. Store in air tight container.

(optional) After granola has cooled, Stir in:
  • craisins, raisins, other dried fruit or chocolate chips
Serving Suggestions:
  • In a bowl of almond milk, rice milk, goat's milk or cow's milk
  • Topping for your favorite plain or flavored yogurt (Stoneyfield is my favorite.)
  • Sprinkled over ice cream (like Breyers Vanilla Bean).
Hope you enjoy this Thanksgiving breakfast treat as much as I did!

1 comment:

  1. I usually use agave in this recipe and it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete