Are you trying to save money? And eat well?
Money Saving Examples:
- 5# Organic Black Turtle Beans - $8.25 ($. 55 for 15 oz. of cook beans), 15 oz. can of Eden Organic Black Turtle Beans costs $1.54 - savings of about $1.00)
- 5# Organic Garbanzo Beans - $10.50 ($. 70 for 15 oz. of cook beans), 15 oz. can of Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans costs $2.03 (savings of over $1.00)
Here are a few tips to remember:
- About 1 1/2 cups cooked dried beans equal one 15-ounce can of beans
- 2/3 cup raw dried beans, or about 1/3 pound, to make 1 1/2 cups cooked beans
- Cook more beans at once and refrigerator or freeze the extra for time savings later on
- General instructions for Beans - Pre-soak: 2-3 cups of water per cup of dried beans overnight in your refrigerator. (Pre-soaking helps speed up the cooking time and also make the beans easier to digest.) Cooking: Drain beans, add 2-3 cups of fresh water per cup of dried beans. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours till beans are soft. Some beans may take more time depending on the softness you desire.
- When in doubt, look up cooking instructions online