My babe has not yet uttered the words, "Peas please." But I am sure he was thinking it yesterday as he quickly gobbled down his first helping of peas. This past summer our family bought a share of crops from a local CSA farm (Community Supported Agriculture). We enjoyed fresh and chemical free produce all summer and even had extra veggies to freeze. Yesterday I pulled a bag of peas out of the freezer and made some baby food. I tasted it first of course and it was delicious!
Recipe for Pea Puree
1. If using Fresh Peas, open the pods and scrape out the peas from the pod. If using frozen type of either Peas or Green Beans, cook according to package directions.
2. Place fresh peas into a steamer basket in a pan with a just enough water to slightly show through in the basket.
3. Steam until very tender; be sure to check on the water level.
4. Reserve any left over water to use for thinning out the peas.
5. Place into your choice of appliance for pureeing and begin pureeing. Add water as needed to create desired texture.
6. Freeze extra in ice cube trays. Once frozen solid remove from trays and store in labeled freezer bags.